Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Paris Marathon, 6th April, 2008

Official finish time 4.29 hrs


4:11 am, woke up and realized it was too early to get up. Fortunately was able to force myself to sleep again, this time waking a little later than I wanted, waking up at 7:15 am. Now there was an obvious rush to get ready. Had a quick cup of tea followed by a bowl of flavoured oatmeal follwed by a quick shower. Paris had been unusually cold over the last few days, the temperature was expected to be around 32 F with a gentle breeze. There is one obvious advantage living in Green Bay and that is tolerance to run in cold. For the top I wore a long sleeve Sport Hill vest along with a wind breaker. For the bottom Reebok tights with a wind breaker. After bidding good byes to my wife and kids , equipped with my Garmin forerunner watch, 4 packs of Powerade Gel and one bar of Kellogs Protein bar I was soon headed to the starting line up to meet the rest of Green Bay Gang. The scene at Champs Elysees was unbelievable, it was humming with activity. Met up with Mark, Michong and Yoon posed for a photograph and then made my way to the area assigned for runners aiming to finish in around 4.30 hrs. Standing for the run to start I was submerged in the cacophony of different languages, runners of different shapes and sizes. It was quite cold and I was glad that I had made a decision to wear 2 layers. It was a surreal feeling realizing that the big day had finally arrived . There was a loud sound, the race had begun at exactly 8.45 am although it took quite a while I started moving towards the starting mark, and soon the race was on.
Race route on Google Map click here
Mile 1-5 : Start on Champs Elysees towards Concorde, which is the largest square in Paris. . The obelisk in the center is covered with hieroglyphs picturing the reign of pharaohs. It is a amazing landmark. The Rue de Rivoli extends onto Bastille. It was amazing to see the mammoth crowds, and the support afforded by them. There were bands playing on the sides, and Parisians were looking from their apartments on the runners running by. I kept my pace in check, not allowing the temptation to go fast into my head as I knew it could later cost me dearly. The cobbled portion of the streets was little difficult. Passed by Louvre museum. Stopped at the 5 km water stop for a bottle of water to be used later.
Mile 5-10: I had settled into the race and the apprehension was easing off. Paris has been extremely well planned, I just couldn't believe how beautiful it was. The next major land mark was the Place de Bastille onto Bois De VincennesMile
10-15: Running through a wooded belt, Parc de Paris, the hustle of the city was gone. I had been taking the powerade gels as planned at every five mile mark. Also kept myself well hydrated.
Mile 15-20: Running partly in the wooded belt lgave way to the area where the Notredame is located. All along the route there had been groups of bands playing.
Mile 20-25: With half of marathon finished I felt better, I have to admit there was some fatigue setting in. The race course suddenly let onto some cobbled streets onto the road adjoining Seine river. This calmly flowing river is very picturesque.

Mile 25-30: Course continued adjoining the Seine river with multiple over headed bridges where people had lined up to cheer us on. There were many underpasses, one of them particularly long. The approach to the underpasses was generally easy however the exit was always tough, I hated running up the steep gradient. Some runners preferred to walk that segment. The 3oth mile mark was just opposite the Eiffel tower. I stopped for a drink and suddenly felt a severe pain in my left knee I was surprised at this, walked a few steps and felt worse. I couldn't understand this pain as my left knee had not been issue during my training. Realizing the pain had started when I stopped for a drink, I took a chance to " run of the pain". Initially I felt it won't work but then gradually the pain got better. By now I was getting hungry I ate a date and the Kellogs protein bar which I had brought along.

3 Comments:

  1. Jobove - Reus said...
    very good blog, congratulations
    regard from Catalonia Spain
    thank you
    Anonymous said...
    Well done, Dr. Verma!
    -David Pathakjee
    Anonymous said...
    I can picture the scenary with every word you write. Sounded exciting but sorry to hear about the cold weather.
    Tonya, MA

Post a Comment