Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Paris Marathon, Last 6.2 miles


Had just crossed the Eiffel Tower, which was near to the start line. However there was still a big loop around to the finish. Only the other day me, Anu, and the kids had walked from our apartment to the Eiffel Tower and it had seemed so near. The real race had just begun. My left knee pain appeared to be better. I decided I would not stop at any water stations from now on. The end seemed so near however I still knew I had a mountain to climb. Running a marathon, now seemed like a “freaking” crazy idea, I now knew why some well wishers in my office had contemplated a psych consult to help me get over this obsession. I was very hungry . One of my colleague's comment “You are going to Paris to run a marathon??? that's crazy!I would go there to eat”. Seemed to be so true. Here I am in the culinary capital of the world, running past bakeries stocked with the best of macaroons, crepes, and croissants, I can’t have them at least for now. Not finishing the run was out of question. I knew I had to do it. No matter how determined you are, the body wants to give up on you. Fortunately the terrain was fairly level and was in a very scenic part..............I knew the Arc De Triumphe was nearby but still couldn't’t see it. There was definitely more medical presence in the last few miles, ambulances, paramedics helping people. The fear of getting injured, getting sick, was definitely at the back of my mind how ever I felt reasonably well. In fact better then when I had finished my half marathon in Appleton, Wisconsin, which was strange. I definitely didn’t want to make headlines in a foreign land. The young man from Kaukana, Wisconsin who died recently after finishing a marathon was definitely in my mind. I have to admit I did not push my self too hard, fearing a bad outcome. The last few miles definitely appear to be the longest. The scenery, the crowds, the bands suddenly didn't seem to matter. It was a lonely personal battle. There were multiple wine stops for the runners, reminding me this is Paris where wine is often cheaper than water. I guess the celebrations had already begun for some runners or may be it helped allay the pain. And at last it was the last mile, I knew this is going to be a special day in my life, I felt good that I am going to finish my first marathon, suddenly all the long training seemed so worthwhile. ........crossed the finish line. It was over....couldn't believe it.....the sun had come out and it was getting a little warm. The mood of all runners was very sombre, I guess the fatigue had taken its toll. Collected my medal and started looking for my family.







Post Run: When the rest of the Green Bay gang arrived at the finish line, my wife thought I will not be showing up for a little while she took the kids to the the nearby Arc De triumph. I looked for them at the designated spot with no avail. Took us 2hrs, before we got together.

3 Comments:

  1. Marj Sundquist said...
    Thank you for sharing that with me. I enjoyed reading about your accomplishment and seeing the picture. What a wonderful experience! (from Marj - your children's piano teacher).
    Anonymous said...
    Hellow Capitaine (captine for French),

    I salut your big achievement. I know how you feel after you finish your very first marathon as a fellow runner. I still remember vividly when I finish my very first marathon ( The Paris Marathon was my first marathon). When you told me you would run the Paris Marathon, I was very happy to have somebody (along with Dr. Reinke,Dr. Chun, and Dr Fuchs) from the work but litle worried ( just a little bit). As time goes,I have watched your tremendous dedication and enthusiasm towards your training. I knew that you will finish the race without doubt. I absolutely agree that running marathon is personal battle with yourself, especially the last 6.2 miles.
    The memories of the first marathon always stay in your heart even after you run 16 marathons.
    Once again, congratulation on your big achievement.
    You will always be our captain.

    Felicitations!

    Your fellow runner Michong
    Anonymous said...
    great job with the blog ,rahul .... snapshots are good and commentry ,crisp .

Post a Comment