Sunday, June 15, 2008

Bellin Run 2008


Saturday morning turned out to be a beautiful day, perfect setting for the the 32nd Bellin Run, a 10 K race, one of the largest in US for this distance. Close to 15,000 participants showed up for the event. I managed to sneak in a sub 50 minute race finishing with a final time of 49.31 min. @ 7.56 min/mile pace. This was an improvement of around 5 minutes from last year. During the run I struggled in mile 4 and some part of 5th mile. After analyzing the GPS data collected on my Garmin 305 watch I have concluded that every race has to planned prior to the start, and then more important is sticking to the plan. On every training run I have realized that it takes me at least 1-2 miles to warm up, following which I can push hard. Inspite of this information in hand I started out too fast covering the first 2 miles close to 7 min/mile pace. The writing was on the wall for the next 2.5 miles, my pace dropped. In last 1.5 miles I recovered and felt strong but then it was too late. The other issue was the taper to the training runs could not be planned well, due to coming Rio Marathon later this month. Overall, I am quite pleased and look forward to next year's Bellin Run with a rather ambitious goal of sub 45 minute run trying to defy age as I will turn 45 next year. On other positive notes my 10 year old son completed his first 10 K run. It won't be too long that he will be waiting for me on finish lines. There was good company few of my close friends participated in their first run.

PS: The race rivalry in my office continues. I lost this year but.... I am not giving up. Congratulations to Drs.Jenny, Pathakjee, Sara Picard, Katie Hampton.

7 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    You are getting better....in the marathons as well as the pre and post race descriptions of theevents.keep it up.
    45,middle age finally or is it 50 in the US!!
    The icing on the cake is the
    running by your son.Impressive.
    Rahul Verma said...
    What middle age ! I thought this is a term for Stasticians! I am finally growing up getting better with each passing year. Thanks for your comments.
    Tanvir Kazmi said...
    Great going Rahul. Good to see that you got below that 50 min mark. I think that is probably the first big leap for casual runners before that ultimate timing of 45 mins.
    Anonymous said...
    Well, you got below your 50 minute mark....my dad did well also finishing with a time of 43 minutes. My mom and I had a great time walking it and it sure was a great morning. Congrats on your much improved mark from last year.
    Tonya, MA
    Syon Verma said...
    I'm rahul's son. Syon, I did the bellin run also! I finished in 59 minutes.
    cheesehead said...
    wish you the best for tomorrow- cheesehead58
    cheesehead said...
    GREAT JOB IN RIO-WE ARE VERY PROUD OF YOUR ACHIEVEMENT-AND WISH YOU THE BEST FOR SIDNEY-cheesehead 50-weare not sure who worked harder in the family today-!(I ran into the the other Dr.)

Post a Comment